Promotion. That’s a very important word if your website is to be something other than a closed off site (only accessible to family or specific people). Most websites are either regionally accessible or world wide and hence, need promotion in order for users to find the site. This article should help you find different free ways to promote your website.
- Word of mouth. This can be one of the best free advertising methods as people love to share something cool they’ve found and their friends, family and colleagues tend to like to check it out as well. Try to encourage your users to spread the word. You could even offer incentives such as free points (for sites that offer points), free upgraded subscription (for sites that have subscription access to features), badges, featured status, etc.
- Start a blog at WordPress. Provided your site is not a blog site already, a great free way to promote it is to have a WordPress Blog. As WordPress already has great SEO and ranking, having your own blog there can tap into that free resource. Post some interesting blogs and be sure to reference your own site in many of them. Maybe even post a contest on your WordPress blog and draw users in to compete to write the best article, forum post, photo, etc. Whatever is in line with your niche and the script you use for your site.
- Social Media. If you don’t already have a Facebook, Twitter, or other social media account, get one. Use the huge user base that those sites have already built and start posting to each. You can get a good following by using hashtags and other methods these sites use in order to group your posts in with others in popular topics. This can really help generate some buzz for your website.
- Social Posting Tools. Use tools such as our favorite, Buffer, on your site to let your users promote it for free. They love to share things to their own Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc and that tool is just amazing. When you share your own posts via Buffer, you can see stats, schedule the posts, and much more. This will help you see the reach of your posts. Very handy tool for free promotion.
- SEO Tools. Most scripts today have tools to help you with SEO on your site. We suggest you take full advantage of these tools so your site can get in search engines better. Get a free Google Webmaster, Bing Webmaster and other search engine accounts and watch your site analytics. If your script gives the option to add META Description and/or META Keywords, be sure to add good, relevant ones for your site.
These are just a few ways for you to advertise your website for free. There are many other ways to promote your site and entice users to join. Hopefully, these tips will help you get the word out and grow your user base.
If you need more help, feel free to post a thread at our ScriptTechs forum.
#website #advertising #freeadvertising