Making your website more visible is a difficult task. You’re not only fighting a war against already-well-known competitors, but new ones like yourself as well. Luckily, there are a lot of ways you can improve your ranking without going to alternative methods like paying upwards of thousands of dollars.
I’m going to keep things as simple as possible to tell you exactly how to improve your rankings with no additional cost.
- Keep your posts, pictures, videos, etc on topic. If your website is about shoes and only shoes, don’t have a blog about yogurt, pants, or even boots. You don’t stock boots or pants or yogurt. You stock shoes. Write about shoes, post about shoes, and show more shoes.
- Keep your website up to date. That doesn’t mean you have to change your homepage every day or week, just keep it updated with new things and happenings.
- Look for ways to get natural, non-spam inbound links to your website. If you see someone asking for a new shoe website, link it! If you start a new partnership, or get a new hosting company, ask if you can appear on their site. If you have a new, important feature, try and get an article about it in a news site!
- Add relevant content frequently. If you don’t have new content then Google will eventually think your site is stagnant. That makes it go lower in the rankings as other websites trend upwards.
- Avoid spam. This includes comments, pictures, posts, and emails. If your website is flagged as spam, it’s going to tank in the rankings. Even excessive pop-ups can cause it to go down.